Using books for geology research
- Generally, when doing research in the sciences, it is important to find the most current material which one can.
- Reference books can provide excellent article length overviews of topics. Many reference books are available in online versions e.g. Access Science.
- Books are good sources for biographical or historical explorations of a person or topic e.g. a book on major earthquakes in history.
- Books may also be good introductions or overviews to current topics in biology as well, but keep in mind that publishing a book takes a while so books may not cover the absolutely most recent developments on a topic. Try Find Articles for these.
Do I have to read the whole book? No, you do not need to read the entire book necessarily.
- Use the table of contents and the index to find where in a book information about your topic is located.
- The introduction to a book may be a good place to find background information on the topic the book is about.
- You should read enough of a book or chapter to understand what an author is saying and quote her correctly.
- Sometimes chapters in books are complete works written by different authors, making them ideal for research.